Victoria is home to 26,384 poker machines with a $5 maximum bet. As a state, we lose $7,383,561 every day.
Over the last financial year Victoria lost $3.2 billion to pokies.
Losses are on the rise! Last year, we were losing $2.68 billion annually, the equivalent to $7,149,397 every day.
Victoria’s least affluent suburbs lose six times more to poker machines than the most affluent postcodes. The gambling operators are clearly exploiting communities that are already highly stressed, and that can least afford the additional problems poker machines create.
However, we are lucky in Victoria to see the pokie problem being actively tackled by the Alliance's Leadership Councils: Banyule, Brimbank, Darebin, Greater Dandenong, Hume, Hobson's Bay, Kingston, Knox, Maribyrnong, Maroondah, Melbourne, Mitchell, Monash, Moreland, Mornington Peninsula, Whittlesea, Wyndham and Yarra. We're looking forward to continuing to act together to overcome the harm that Victoria experiences as a result of poker machines.
We've had some fantastic wins in Victoria, but we need to keep the pressure on!
Ongoing state-wide campaigns:
- Demand the Victorian government choose a side: pokies or people. Click here to sign the petition
- The data on gambling harm is out- Victoria lost $2.6 billion. Sign the petition or write to the Minister of Gaming demanding reform
- Pokies are increasing the risk of family violence and we're demanding the Ministers' stand up for women: Sign the petition
- Footscray: Stop more pokies at the Powell Hotel!
- Greater Dandenong: Learn more, get involved, download brochures and posters and to stop the Dandenong RSL getting more pokies, write to the VCGLR.
- Greater Geelong: Stop Leopold Sportsman Club from getting more pokies.
- Moreland: Ask for a Resident Action Kit
- Pakenham: Stop Castello's Cardinia Hotel from getting more pokies by writing to the decision makers.
- Whittlesea: Sign up for a Residential Action Kit or sign the petition to make pokie reform an election priority!
- Brimbank: Sign the petition to make pokie reform an election priority!
- Ballarat: Concerned about pokies in your area? Sign the petition to demand strong election policy!